Starbuck Washington was formed with the coming of the railroad.
The Starbuck Jail is the oldest building still standing in Starbuck. It was erected before the turn of the century.
August 1881 - The new line of the railroad company reached the big trestle at McKay Hollow.
1882 - Starbuck had grown into a small town with a few business', a railroad warehouse, section house, a depot and a school.
1883- The first Starbuck Post Office was put into commission.
1886 - The first store was built by J.W. McIntosh.
1887 - Fire destroyed the depot, freight warehouse and the McIntosh store and warehouse.
1889- The railroad had a seven-stall roundhouse in Starbuck.
1890- The railroad had built a machine shop, sand house, section house, agent's house, forge, and telegraph office.
1890 - The first hotel was built by McIntosh.
1891 - The store was rebuilt. S.D. Merritt operated the only saloon in town.
1892 - A new school was built.
1893 - W.H. Starbuck of New York City donated the bell to the first church built in Starbuck.
1894 - Starbuck was platted by Mary McIntosh.
1895 - Business' in Starbuck were: a general merchandise store, operated by E.M. Aeils and Co., a grocery store, a cigar and tobacco shop, a drugstore, and a restaurant. There were two hotels, a boot and shoe shop, a tailor shop, blacksmith shop, and a livery stable.
1904 - Starbuck bank was built. It closed during the depression.
1905 - Starbuck is incorporated.
1914 - The High Line Bridge across the Snake River was opened for railroad traffic.
1919 - There had been several business' in Starbuck, those above and a barbershop, a garage, Starbuck Electric Co., Pacific Telephone and Telegraph, Mutt and Jeff store, and The Star Hotel. There was a meat market, Starbuck Standard newspaper, a Real Estate Office, a restaurant and a doctors office.
1919 - The president of the railroad visited Starbuck.
1920 - The first of two bank robberies happened.
1939 - The Columbia County Grain Growers erected a grain elevator at the north end.
1948 - Starbuck recieves dial telephones.
1950 - The Columbia County Grain Growers built three steel grain bins.
1950 - Census Bureau reports 195 residents in Starbuck.
1951 - The first rural fire district in Columbia County is organized in Starbuck.
1953 - The big Territorial Centennial.
1954 - Television is introduced to the Starbuck area.
1960 through 1970 - Little Goose Dam is built, bringing residents to the town.
1968 - The old Vantage Bridge is opened for travel across the Snake River at the mouth of the Palouse River.
1982 - The last train ran through Starbuck.